VCD Theory Context
Where will a visual communication be seen?
where visual communications are
Contexts for student visual communications
What contexts do these images show?
How context influences design
National Gallery Victoria advertising poster for a Sidney Nolan exhibition. 2009.
An energy ad, bottom left has been placed so its colour complements the pictures on the page. Herald Sun 11 November, 2009.
Bus shelter poster, Templestowe, Victoria.
Road work promotion sign. Lorne, Victoria.
Model context analysis
Sportsgirl window promotion. Melbourne Central, 2008.
Try it for yourself
The images below are the same as shown on the 'purpose for visual communications' page. Test yourself and see if you can describe the context for each of the visual communications shown.
1. Screen shot from Apple iPhone Maps app. 04 January 2019.
2. Brandsmart store, 288 Whitehorse Rd, Nunawading. 2019.
3. Detail of page from Lego instruction booklet, Christmas 2018.
4. Page from TAC website. (http://www.tac.vic.gov.au/ road-safety) 2019.
5.Victoria Gardens Shopping Centre, 620 Victoria St, Richmond VIC 3121, 2019.
6. Brandsmart store, 288 Whitehorse Rd, Nunawading. 2019.
7. Cover of Ikea instruction booklet number 20463, 2019.
- Identify the context for each of the visual communications above. Give reasons for your answer referring to the images.
- Discuss how each visual communication has been designed to suit its context. Refer to the influencing factors above in your answer.
- Explain the difference between context and presentation format.
- Identify a likely context for each of these presentation formats:
- Plans and elevations
- Post card
- Road sign
- TV instruction booklet
- Web banner image
- Price ticket